Thursday, January 20, 2011

Silly Woman!

Do you ever get the overwhelming sense that something is going on inside of you, initiated by the Holy Spirit, that you can't quite explain?

Over the last few years, periodically I will feel this way and be unable to communicate exactly what is going on. I feel that it is in these times that the Lord is doing a deeper work in my heart. He is revealing something to me. It is taking time and I don't quite understand or comprehend yet, but I know He is at work. I must stay aware and awake that He is up to something. I don't want to miss it.

And, I have missed it. So many times. Seeds have been planted. Truth has been spoken. My heart has been stirred. For a little while there is change. But, the temptations of life and the cares of the world snatch it away as I find myself going back to the same old way of living.

I found this out a few weeks ago when I was at my wit's end after a long day of dealing with some issues in our home. It seemed bickering and whining and selfishness was at its height with everyone and I thought to myself, "What in the world is going on and why is it going on?"

I made my way to where I keep all the books that have made a difference in my life and pulled down those parenting books that I knew were full of truth. After only reading a few pages, my heart was deeply convicted. I was not finding out what was wrong with my children's behavior, but what was wrong with mine.

After some tears were shed and I communicated with my husband the fact that I was at a loss about some things concerning child rearing, I knew I had been in this place before. Several times, in fact.

Why?

The next Sunday my husband reads aloud during his message to the church, "For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth." 2 Tim. 3:6-7

Strong words, I know, but these words hit me square in the face and pierced deep into my heart. I realized that I have been a silly woman. I have allowed distractions, and lack of discipline, and shallowness of heart take the ever-learning truths away from me time and again. Madison is 11. Her window of influence in certain ways is just about over.

There were two fundamental truths that spoke to me while reading. . I believe with all my heart that they are KEY to successful parenting. I have committed to make it take deep root in my soul and become a part of who I am.

#1-"The first and the most important thing you will ever do as a mother in training your children is to  reverence your husband, love to obey him,  feel honored to be married to him, joy in his presence."

#2- "The first step in child training is to decide what you want your child to become and then become that very person yourself."

I hope to talk in more detail about these two statements that were taken out of  the "No Greater Joy" volume 1 book series over the next couple of weeks.

These are truly profound, yet so foundational and simple to understand. Will you let them take root in your heart as well? May we not be labeled as silly women again.

Nichole

No comments:

Post a Comment