Monday, January 10, 2011

Get a GRIP!


The voice of the Lord is powerful;
The voice of the Lord is full of majesty.
Psalm 29:4

If the verse quoted above is true, I better get a grip... a better grip on Scripture that is! I will never move forward if I don’t first move backward. You say back to where??? Back to the Word of God. God help me to Get a GRIP! That is what I intend to do over the next several weeks. I look forward to surveying God's Word, all 66 chapters, covering 1,189 chapters, 31,175 verses, 810,697 words, 3,566,480 letters--all of which are inerrant, infallible, and inspired. I have never surveyed the Bible before so I look forward to the journey.

The Bible is the only book that you will ever read that reads you. Sometimes the Bible exhorts you and you say, AMEN! Sometimes the Bible examines you and you say, OH ME! Sometimes the Bible exposes you and you say, OH NO! Sometimes the Bible encourages you and you say, OH YES! As I begin to take the Bible apart, I know that it will take me apart. As I seek to get a better a grip on God's Word, I submit to the God of the Bible Who will grip me. May my experience be as Jeremiah's when he testified of God's Word and said, "Your words were found, and I ate them, and Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart;" (Jeremiah 15:16)

Adrian Rogers once made a simple statement about the Bible, "It will give you a check up from the neck up, help you avoid stinkin’ thinkin’ and totally eliminate hardening of the attitude." Another favorite writer of mine is Warren Wiersbe and he said, "The Bible reveals God’s mind so we should learn it. The Bible reveals God’s heart, so we should love it. The Bible reveals God’s will, so we should live it."

I need a check up so that I can learn, love and live the Bible like never before.

Want to join me in getting a grip? Let's commit to be in many church services as we can in a row so that we can be under the Word, desiring to do the following with the Word:
  1. Hear the Word - Acts 13:44, Romans 10:17
  2. Read the Word - Col. 4:16, 1 Tim. 4:13, Rev. 1:3
  3. Study the Word - Ezra 7:10, Acts 17:11, 2 Tim. 2:15
  4. Memorize the Word - Psalm 119:9-11, Prov. 22:17-21
  5. Meditate on the Word - Joshua 1:8, Psalm 1:1-3
  6. Apply the Word - James 1:22, John 10:27; 13:17
Desiring to get a grip on all Scripture,
Keith

1 comment:

  1. Amen! I need all six daily. I wish I had done #4 more frequently when I was younger; it's much harder to memorize scripture now. I am so looking forward to this series! I'm praying for you. It's quite an undertaking.

    ReplyDelete