Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Family Logistics and Setting Goals



"Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he." Proverbs 29:18

In the second chapter of Kim Brenneman's book Large Family Logistics, she encourages women to make immediate goals, short-term goals, and long-term goals for their family based on scripture and a reflection of their vision of the future.

I loved the quote she shared and I feel like it speaks volumes in and of itself. "Yet, if at any stage of life you feel you're "flying by the seat of your pants," taking each day as it comes without having anticipated it, planned for it, shaped it, and prayed over it, then take time off and get back to poring over your goals. Then you will control your days, instead of letting them control you." Anne Ortlund

There have been many days that I have gone to bed exhausted at the end of a day's work, but feeling very unaccomplished in what I had actually completed. Most of the time this all boiled down to my lack of planning and purpose for my family.

There are two major points that I feel like were important in this chapter to give us all a starting point in setting goals for our family.

1. Our ultimate goal must be to love God with all of our heart, soul, and mind and to love our neighbor as ourselves. (Mark 12:29-31) I believe this is where we make sure that our goals are scripture-based and open to whatever the Lord shows for our own individual family in whatever season of life we are in.

2. The second most important goal is to make sure that next to pleasing the Lord in our planning, is pleasing the one whom the Lord created us for (1 Corinthians 11:9) and that would be our husband! Our efforts should always be to strive to complement and complete him with our "home as our primary base of activity". Please take the time to read Titus 2:14-15.

In our quest for direction and guidance, the Word of God should be our main source. In our quest for success, our husband should be the leader in the direction that we should go. All things should be communicated together and agreed upon together. It will always be a matter of submission for us women. Although easy to submit when we are in agreement, it is much more difficult, albeit possible, when I may not like the direction he says to go. What are some examples that we as a couple need to be on the same page about? Kim talks about child training, family worship, the aesthetics of the home, playtime, friendships, mealtimes, ministry, etc..... The couple should be moving in the same direction or "you will create confusion for your kids and your family as a whole."

Just a personal testimony: In the last few months, I have felt the need to revamp our family schedule to make them more productive for everyone. I asked myself what were some things that I would like to see accomplished by the end of the day? I wanted our time together to be great quality time because quantity was not the problem for us. I wanted a consistent quiet time with the Lord everyday, exercise atleast 30 minutes 4-5 days a week, meals to be served at a certain time with immediate cleanup afterwards, consistent Bible reading and verse memorization with me and the children, naps for little ones at the same time each day, afternoon school work,chores, family time, bedtime starting at 8:00, etc... That has been my goal. I presented it verbally to Keith and he was in agreement. I knew I could not do this by myself and asked if he was willing to help and then after he said that he would, we talked about ways that he could help me see this through. So far, we have been successful. It has taken a lot of work and a lot of practice. Not every day is the same. We still have to be flexible and that is one thing that Keith asked of me when enforcing this. We try very hard not to be rigid to the point of letting these things rob us of our joy in the home. I knew that spiritually I needed this and I knew that spiritually the children needed it as well. I believe that the Bible teaches us to be diligent, hard-working, responsible, and much, much more. These qualities were not going to be natural and so we decided to try and make them a part of our lifestyle.

I hope this encourages you to seek God's face for the goals you would like to set for your family as you come alongside the one that God created you for and together your home can become a place of victory for all who dwell in it!

Nichole

1 comment: