Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Secret Church


This past Friday night, Keith and I were able to attend Secret Church that David Platt and the church he pastors organizes a couple of times a year. We had a sweet friend come and sit with the children, put them to bed, and then wait, wait, wait for us to come home. It started at 7 and we got home at 2 in the morning!!

I believe this concept of Secret Church birthed from his experience with meeting with many around the world who were desperate for teaching in God's Word and they would meet secretly, for fear of being caught and punished, for hours. It is dangerous for them to meet. We take so much for granted. 

It was an intense six-hour Bible study. We also prayed for our persecuted brothers and sisters in Christ around the world. The intent for those listening is to take what we learned and pass it along, making disciples in all nations.

Honestly, I wondered if I could hang the whole time. That is a lot of focus and attention given to teaching. I am pleased to tell you, it was not difficult at all. Of course, David spoke on marriage, family, sex, and the gospel. I love to hear teachings on the family. I love to be challenged in my relationship with the Lord, which will affect my relationship with my husband and children. If I can allow God to work in these areas, then I know He will branch that out to others. And, that is when we see our families reaching those around us for Christ TOGETHER.

A couple things I would like to leave with you that God used to prick my own heart and remind me of the importance of  gladly embracing God's role for my life.

My marriage to Keith is a picture of the gospel of Christ to this world. Well, a lot of my world has to do with my children right now. How convicting was it to think that when I get in a bad mood and forget to smile and serve Keith in love and I speak unkind, I am not displaying the gospel. When I argue with Keith in front of the children and show my rebellious spirit, I am not displaying the gospel. When I undermine him and go against him and manipulate him or hide things from him, all while the children are looking on, then they are NOT seeing the gospel of Jesus Christ.  May my love for Jesus rise me above my own selfishness. May my desire to see our children come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ keep me aware of my desperate need for Him to make me the wife that shows clearly the mystery of this gospel that changes lives.

Secondly, a statement that David made cut right to the heart. It was directed to our intent and purpose in the rearing of the children God has given us. "Jesus expects them to leave us behind to fulfill His great commission."

It would be nice to know that we could purchase a hundred acres of land and make it home to all of our children and their little ones in the future. I can't say that God doesn't ever do that. Whether He does or not, my goal should always be to raise these children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord all while praying for a heart to "do whatever and go wherever" for His glory. To know that there is a possibility that I will never experience time like I have with them now ever again as they grow and go in different directions in life, motivates me. It also helps me to see them and this season of life with different eyes. No, they are not little long. Yes, they will grow up fast. How am I spending my time with them?

Madison and I are able to spend our Wednesday nights together. Through this teaching I thought of this precious time that I have and how I need to use it wisely. Pray for me, as I feel led to disciple her one-on-one. She is 12 years old and I am thinking of leading us both through a study on purity.  It will be a time we will never forget.

Lets keep the main thing the main thing. Jesus. The world has soooo many distractions. We need the church and God's people to encourage us and remind us and enable us to keep our focus and our heart set on the Lord and His Word.

".....which he commanded our fathers to teach to their children, that the next generation might know them, the children yet unborn, and arise and tell them to their children, so that they should set their hope in God and not forget the works of God, but keep his commandments; and that they should not be like their fathers, a stubborn and rebellious generation, a generation whose heart was not steadfast...." Psalm 78

A verse that I am asking the Lord to help me minister to my family with, "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God." Colossians 3:16

Thankful to be reminded to gladly embrace God's role for my life,

Nichole

2 comments:

  1. SO PROUD OF YOU AND KEITH FOR ALLOWING GOD TO IMPLANT GODLY WISDOM IN YOU BOTH DURING THE EARLY DAYS OF CHILD REARING!! ALL FOR GOD'S KINGDOM. I LOVE & MISS YOU ALL. MAMA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your blog this morning..Nichole, I read your blogs all the time... Your blog is on my daily devotion list...What a Godly example you are to your family...I thank the Lord for the great things that He has done for your family and through your family.

    God Bless
    Wendy Portwood

    ReplyDelete