Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Baby Countdown...Iron Infusion





Today marks a five week countdown until the due date of our new little one. Now, all those who know me and know how my usual pregnancies go, know that we go about 10 days to 2 weeks past that date. BUT, I am praying and hoping that will not take place this time :) However, if it does, by the grace of God we will trust in His perfect timing. In the meantime I will be posting once a week on some of the things that I have done during this pregnancy to prepare me for the birth of our eighth child.

I can remember with the very first pregnancy, Dr. Malmborg from Waycross, Ga, had to prescribe me iron to take. My hemoglobin was low even back then...a young 22 year old. That seems ages ago! I have always struggled with that. So, you can imagine that when we had Maleah and I lost so much blood, it really sent me for a loop. I was very weak for almost a month. I can't say that this will not take place again, but I want to do my part of preventing it.  Hence, the introduction to Iron Infusion.

I am taking an over the counter iron pill. I am still mildly anemic. I am taking folic acid and vitamin c to help it absorb into my body. I am still mildly anemic. When the Bulk Herb Store sent out an e-mail a few weeks ago with this Iron Infusion recipe on it, I decided to jump on board. It is very similar to the Mama's Red Raspberry Brew that I have been drinking. This is a pleasant tea, but I needed to drink 3-4 cups a day to get in the recommended dosage. That has been a little difficult to keep up with. This new infusion is much more concentrated and I only had to "sip" on it through the day.

Never once did it occur to me the taste would not be very pleasant. I followed directions and strained that stuff into a cup and took a sip. Oh my word...I didn't know if I could do it. I was determined. I sweetened it with some honey and refrigerated it. 2-3 times a day I go to the fridge and take several gulps, all while holding my nose and having something else to drink to follow. It is the only way I can do it. I will go for an appointment with my midwife on Monday and she will test my hemoglobin. I am praying to report good results to all of you.

I can say this, my energy level is great. A good sign of the iron taking affect. I know this is a little blunt, but any of us who have had to take iron before know that it can cause constipation, which is so frustrating. This actually has the opposite effect. I have NO problems in that area. I love that it is immediately going into my system and I can almost feel the immediate difference. Well worth the unpleasant taste. This may make for a long post, but for those of you out there interested, I wanted to give a brief overview of all of these herbs and the directions for making your own Iron Infusion :))

Iron Infusion
1/2 cup Nettle Leaf
1/2 cup Dandelion Root
1/2 cup Alfalfa
1/2 cup Yellow Dock
1/2 cup Red Raspberry Leaf
Water, Simmering

1. Place all herbs into a glass quart jar and pour simmering water over them until the jar is full.
2. Screw the lid on the jar and let it sit until it becomes cool. Strain off the herbs.
3. You can sweeten it at this point if you want and then refrigerate it.
4. Sip on it throughout the day.

Nettle Leaf- blood purifier. Contains bitter compounds that increase the flow of urine, are antiseptic, and relieves pain. It also contains astringent compounds that shrink inflamed tissues and stop bleeding. Nettle has been used to treat urinary tract infections, inflammatory skin infections, diarrhea, and asthma.

Dandelion Leaf- aids digestion, relieves liver distress, and treats all manner of ills from dropsy, jaundice, and kidney stones to warts and psoriasis. One of the best blood purifiers and builders available. High in vitamins and minerals, especially calcium. Restores and balances the blood so that anemia that is caused by a deficiency of nutritive salts disappear. It is the herb for low blood pressure (which I have) and helps build energy and endurance.

Alfalfa- means "Father of all Foods". It has been called the king of plants because it is extremely rich in vitamins and minerals including iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, sulfur, chlorine, sodium, potassium, silicon, and trace elements. A good source of carotene (Vitamin A) and Vitamin K. It has eight of the essential amino acids and highest chlorophyll content of any plant. Permits rapid assimilation of any plant elements.

Yellow Dock- Contains bitter compounds that laxative, increase the production of digestive fluids and enzymes, especially bile, and increase the flow of urine. It also contains astringent compounds that shrink inflamed tissues. Yellow Dock is an excellent source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, and Selenium. It has been used to treat liver congestion, constipation, arthritis, rheumatism, inflammatory bowel disorders, and inflammatory skin conditions.

Red Raspberry Leaf- Contains astringent compounds that relieve pain and shrink inflamed tissues, especially in the female reproductive system. It also contains bitter compounds that relieve smooth muscle spasms. Red Raspberry is an excellent herb source of manganese. It has been used to treat morning sickness, nausea, dysmenorrhea, false labor, colds, flu, and fevers.

Please visit http://www.bulkherbstore.com/ for more information on these herbs and what they can do.

Thankful for the knowledge that has been backed by science in the "world of herbs",

Nichole

*I am obviously not a doctor, so please only proceed with herbal alternatives after much research and consideration on your part.

4 comments:

  1. i still have mine waiting.
    im scared to death to try it.
    I will either one, be stuck on the toilet
    2 gag :)
    3, have some sorta strange reaction hahaha...
    i want to try it tho, my energy is so low!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a fabulous way to get iron during pregnancy! I had trouble with my iron too during my last pregnancy, and lost a lot of blood after the birth too. I took something called Floradix. Have you heard of it? It's a natural iron supplement and it is amazing. The best part... you can get it in pill form :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting. I had low iron with this last pregnancy. Wish I would have known about this awful tasting tea :) I drank a lot of green smoothies and ate everything I could find with the highest concentrations of iron and was able to increase my levels. Good luck!
    And, our sweet little Kaelyn finally arrived - 11 days late! (pics and birth story on our blog)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you drink the whole quart everyday? I'm trying to treat my very low iron--not pregnant now. I'm 36. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete