Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I am not a calorie counter

But,  I used to be.

To the point of obsession. It caused me to have a few very difficult years in my past. Although I am thankful for deliverance, I am very sad for the time wasted on being so self-absorbed that I missed out on serving and loving others.

Since that time  I have been able to lean upon the learning of calorie intake from those difficult years to my advantage without ever really thinking too much about it.  It has helped me to keep food in proper perspective. Enjoying it, but not too much of it. I don't ever want to be bound to it again. It is misery and bondage. I have been able to exercise and eat pretty much what I want in moderation and be able to stay the size that I am comfortable with.

Because of my past, I try to be very careful with my own children in how we talk about food and exercise. I have caught myself talking negatively about my own body in front of them. I was immediately convicted. That is not what they need to hear coming from my mouth. Sometimes we say things so flippantly and take no regard for those that are listening and how it might influence them toward a negative mindset and behavior.  So, I try to help them see that they are all different physically, but very beautiful. I want the girls to embrace their femininity and the boys their masculinity.  I want them to have a healthy perspective when it comes to viewing themselves and also their eating habits. I want them to know that their mother is very thankful for how God made me and that I want to take care of myself to the best of my ability. I also pray for them. There is great comfort when I place them in the hands of the Father.   Who could love them more?

I have been pregnant 10 times over the last 14 years. I have nursed 8 children. I have had an increased appetite for quite some time now! I think, though, that I am at a stage in my life that it is going to take a little more concentrated effort to drop a few pounds and keep it off. I want to be very careful. I want to honor the Lord in everything I do....even exercise and weight loss. Just as food consumes some to the point of gluttony, food can also consume some to the point of starvation. The devil loves it when we go in either direction, because something else becomes our god and takes the one true God out of His rightful place. Let me tell you, I do NOT want to go back there.

So, here is my plan (so far). I plan to increase physical activity by walking/running 3-4 times a week and also some strength training with hand weights a couple of times a week. This can only make me feel better. As a matter of fact, I am already feeling better. And, instead of counting calories, I am going to try to cut back on snacking in between meals. My goal is to give this a try for 8 weeks and see if it makes a difference before making any other changes.  I am just hoping to get back into my clothes :) I am on week 3 now.

I believe that setting healthy goals is a good thing. I think what I am doing is setting a healthy goal. It may seem more of a physical goal, but I have come to the conclusion that there is nothing in the life of a Christian that can be separated from being spiritual as well. He wants me to honor Him even in this.

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him," Colossians 3:17

Nichole

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this post. I stumbled upon your blog through a friend of a friend of a friend etc so you don't know me, but I wanted to share that I struggle with food addiction. I have battled this demon my whole life and had conquered it at one point. However, for the past several years, I have fell victim to it again. I feel out of control and hopeless. I pray about it all the time but there's been no change. I don't know why I feel compelled to share this with a complete stranger. Maybe you could pray for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I am not a calorie counter" but are you a taker? If you take calorie rich food how you burn it? Family Dentist

    ReplyDelete