Friday, February 4, 2011

Healthy Living and Pizza!

Our basic ingredients for a delicious pizza!


We have homemade pizza almost every Friday. We have been doing this for 3 to 4 months now and none of us have gotten tired of it yet. We keep it pretty simple with our ingredients. Although, the ideas are endless on being creative with your own pizza and making it the way your family would best like it.

Two days out of the week, we try to make meatless dishes. Pizza falls into this category. We normally do not add any meat unless we have some leftover in the fridge or we are entertaining guests. This cuts down on grocery costs and we all really like just a cheese pizza. You need to have good cheese, though. Oh, and a fantastic sauce. And, two really cute cheese graters.


We order our cheese in bulk (a 6.5 lb. block of organic mozerella). Buying in bulk also cuts the cost on the cheese and it will last us about a month for our family of 9.

We also grind hard white wheat and so our pizza becomes a nutritous whole grain crust with fresh ingredients and no preservatives. 

BUT, what really makes a good pizza is the sauce. Maybe because I really like a saucey pizza. I will even dip my pizza into extra sauce while I am eating it, I like it so much!

Homemade Pizza Sauce

1 6ounce can of organic tomato paste
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil or butter, etc...
1 cup water
3/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4- 1/2  tsp. red pepper flakes
3/4 tsp. sucanat or brown sugar
3/4 tsp. oregano
3/4 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. garlic

Mix all ingredients in small saucepan on low heat until well incorporated. Add this (in generous amounts) to your pizza dough that has been partially cooked for 8-10 minutes on 400 degrees. Top with favorite cheese and place back in oven for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is slightly golden and bubbly.




Enjoy,

Nichole

2 comments:

  1. I especially enjoy the healthy living posts!! This looks fantastic! Can't wait to try it, I'm sure my kids will love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We almost always have pizza on Sundays but hadn't made my own for a while. These pictures made me crave a homemade pizza! Made one tonight and we ALL loved it! Even Ron and he usually isn't my biggest fan of wheat products. Didn't make my own sauce though-hope to try your recipe soon. I, too, am a sauce lover.

    ReplyDelete