Monday, November 29, 2010

Lord, Take the Wheels Off!

The Bible says in Acts 13:2, As they ministered to the Lord... referring to the prophets and teachers in the church that was at Antioch, specifically: Barnabas, Simeon, Lucius, Manaen, and Saul. They ministered to the Lord, what a profound statement. Do I minister to the Lord? No doubt I know He ministers to me. He teaches and instructs me in His ways. He looks after me. He cares for me. He watches over me. He leads me and guides me according to His Word.

But what about my ministry to the Lord? In trying to understand this phrase from Acts 13:2, I asked myself this question, "Do my children minister to me?" I would have to answer, "YES! Almost daily!" There are times they bring me great joy and great pleasure as I watch them carry out a truth that Nichole and I have been teaching, instructing, and coaching in our home. Yes, there are times of adjusting and affirming as we train them just as there are times of adjusting and affirming in our relationship with God. But, each one of my children minister to me when they begin to apply what we have been teaching, instructing, and coaching in our home.

For example, a couple of years ago, Joshua learned how to ride his bike in less than a weekend. He had been riding on training wheels for quite some time. But, the day came when it was time to take the training wheels off Joshua's bike. We went out to the yard and I told him what we were going to do and he began to get excited. As I was taking off the training wheels, I talked with him about balance and gave him a few instructions in how to steer and balance with the handle bars. I talked to him about vision and the importance of looking straight ahead and gave him some more instruction on peddling for balance as well.

Soon the wheels were off, and so were we! Ministering to each other along the way. It was a joy! It was a pleasure! It was a blessing! It was ministry! It was ministry from me to Joshua, and ministry from Joshua to me. It was special! As the day went on, Joshua tried to do what I instructed him to do. Yes, he would fall down, but he would look into my eyes for encouragement and instruction for the next attempt. Yes, he struggled in getting his feet to push those peddles as he also tried to look straight ahead. There were tears and cheers as he learned to apply what his father was teaching him. Each attempt Joshua made to ride that bike without training wheels that day and the next, ministered to me. “Why,” you might ask? Joshua simply did what he was asked to do, giving his best, all the while ministering to his father, the one who was providing him instruction. And before long he was riding his bike on his own.

The word "minister" can be defined as "worshipper of God." Even though I sometimes am limited in my ministry or worship to the Lord, there are times when God has been teaching me a truth and I am responding with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. He knows my heart, and I bring clean hands and a pure heart in what He is teaching me and no doubt, I minister to Him. I worship Him. I ascend into the hill of the Lord, I stand in His holy place! And, to God be the glory! While studying that one phrase in Acts 13:2, they ministered to the Lord, I learned a very powerful truth...

My ministry to the Lord is my worship of the Lord.

The word "ministered" is derived from a Greek word "ergo" which means "to work; toil (as an effort or occupation); by implication an act :- deed, doing, labor, work." That same word "ergo" is the word for "worship" which is used twice in Rev. 22:8-9, where the Bible says, "Now I, John, saw and heard these things. And when I heard and saw, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel who showed me these things. [9] Then he said to me, "See that you do not do that. For I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren the prophets, and of those who keep the words of this book. Worship God."
   
Lord, since my ministry to You is my worship of You, help me experience more times of worshipping You, and You alone. Help me to respond obediently to the things that You are teaching me as You minister to me through Your Word. May I keep the words of this book and worship You, God. Help me bring You joy! Help me please You and bless You! Lord, I want to minister to You! Lord, take the wheels off as I worship You!

Keith


No comments:

Post a Comment