Thursday, November 18, 2010

A New RESOLVE...

While being in El Salvador for five days, I had the privilege of being a part of a team of pastors and leaders that ministered to other pastors and leaders from all over Central America. It was a very busy yet rewarding time. In five days, I taught and or preached seven different times. I spoke twice Thursday and Friday to pastors and leaders. On Saturday, I spoke once in a service to young adults after ministering at the church's Rescue Mission. And on Sunday, I spoke in two different churches.

But more importantly, God spoke to me while there. On Friday afternoon, during the last service of the Timothy Barnabas Pastor’s Conference at Miramonte Baptist Church, God clearly spoke into my heart. The message that was preached by Steve Flockhart was about the Great Commission. His text was Romans 9:1-3. I have preached this text before and as I was reading it to myself before he began his message, I felt the Lord’s Spirit nudge me and in my heart I said, “God, give me a new response to the Gospel.”

I gave my heart to Jesus on April 29, 1984 when I was 11 years old. Over the last 26 years as a Christian I have been nudged, even moved time and time again by God’s Word and Holy Spirit. In 1996, after being out of the will of God, I fully surrendered my life to Him and His will. So, for almost 15 years now I have been learning how to be obedient to His call upon my life. 

Me with MARGARITA, she's a Giant in the Faith

After hearing that message and seeing the response of one little lady named Margarita, whom I had lunch with the day before, I was moved to say the least. Margarita’s testimony among the staff and members in Miramonte Baptist Church is stellar. She was described as being a Godly lady, a faithful soul winner, a prayer warrior. Even though Margarita and I could not speak the same language, we connected through God’s Spirit and she ministered to me in what little time I was with her. She was contagious with the Spirit of God resting upon her and I could tell that she loved Jesus to the utmost.

During the invitation, I saw Margarita at the altar with her head down while committing to three things…

1) To tell her story,
2) To shed tears for the lost, and
3) To demonstrate her commitment to the Great Commission.

While seeing her respond, God moved me from asking Him to give me a new response to Gospel, to... God, give me a new RESOLVE for the Gospel. The word “resolve” is a BIG word, and packed with power. Resolve means to “reach a firm decision.” It means “having a firmness of purpose; being determined.”

The Hymn, I Am Resolved, puts it this way:
I am resolved no longer to linger,
Charmed by the world’s delight,
Things that are higher, things that are nobler,
These have allured my sight.

I am resolved to go to the Savior,
Leaving my sin and strife;
He is the true One, He is the just One,
He hath the words of life.

I appreciate the ministry and courage of Jonathan Edwards. He once made a profound statement that I reflect on often. He said, “Resolved, that men should live for the glory of God. Resolved, second… that whether others do or not I will.”

Please pray for me as I continue to ask God to give me a new RESOLVE for the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Please pray that with God’s help, I would...

R – Refuse to leave the world the way I found it.
E – Embrace His will for my life.
S – Seek first the Kingdom of God.
O – Obey Biblical truth today.
L – Live a life that is contagious with the Gospel.
V – Venture to see the impossible become possible.
E – Expect God to do great things for His glory.

Lastly, please prayer for Margarita and her renewed commitment as well.

Resolved for the Glory of God,
Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment