Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Okay, Okay, Okay......


This recipe is dedicated to all FIVE of our consistent blog readers out there!!

Last Wednesday I wrote about the dynamic duo of the pumpkin and the sweet potato. Well ,I have had a couple of people ask me for the pie recipe that I mentioned. We have tried it and love it. We have also tried it without the sweet potato and just added extra pumpkin at the same amount called for with the sweet potato. It was great that way as well.

And, I also wanted to show off this pretty pumpkin from our garden. I know it is yellow, but in a few weeks(we can already see it changing color) it will be orange. We have five of these things growing right now. This is our fourth time planting a garden, and we get excited about anything that will actually grow out here. We are such amateurs at this. As a matter of fact, last night after picking only enough mustard greens to feed half of the family because they simply just aren't growing that well, I told Keith that we aught to be thankful that it isn't up to us to feed the family or we would starve.  We love it. I think we grow to like it more and more every time we plant. So, thankfully something is growing! It is great to see God at work even in the garden!

You will need pie crust for 2 pies. Pillsbury is a good pie crust and you can find it in the freezer section at your local grocery store. Or....... you can try a good homemade one on your own. I will give you the recipe that I use. A recipe made from freshly ground whole wheat.

2 1/2 cups of freshly ground soft white wheat flour (or 2 cups of all-purpose flour)
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cups and 2 Tbs. butter (12 Tbs.)
7 Tbs. cold water

Combine flour and salt. Cut in butter. Add water and mix. If the dough is too wet add a little flour. Divide dough in half and roll out on floured surface. Makes 2 pie crusts.
*I am thinking of adding a little sugar  (2 Tbs.) to this crust because this particular pumpkin pie recipe is not very sweet.

Filling:

2 cups of half and half
3 large eggs plus 2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 15 ounce can of pumpkin puree (or 1 3/4 cup of fresh pumpkin puree)
1 cup of drained pureed sweet potatoes (from can or fresh)
3/4 cup of sucanat (or sugar)
     go checkout http://www.breadbeckers.com/ to find out what sucanat is
1/4 cup of pure maple syrup (yum!)
2 teaspoons of freshly grated ginger or 1 teaspoon of dried powdered ginger
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon of salt

While the pie shell is baking for about 10-15 minutes at 400 degrees, whisk cream, eggs, yolks,and vanilla together in bowl. Combine the rest of the filling ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a sputtering simmer over medium heat (takes a few minutes). Continue to do this, stirring, for about 10 minutes allowing the extra water to evaporate and the spices to incorporate. Remove pan from heat and whisk into the bowl with the cream mixture. Stain through a fine mesh strainer to get out  lumps and the stringy ginger. Pour even amounts into the two warm pie crusts. Cook on 400 degrees for 10 minutes and then turn down to 300 degrees and finish cooking until the middle looks a little "jiggly", which could be anywhere from 30- 45 minutes. The pie will need to cool and set for atleast 2-3 hours. It is soooo worth the wait. It is so pretty and shiny. Just like a picture. I wish I had one to show you. It is also very smooth and creamy.

This can actually be considered a pretty healthy dessert. Especially if you make your own whole grain pie crust. These are just great all-natural ingredients that make for a nice treat and sometimes even leftover for breakfast the next morning. My kids thought it was a great breakfast!

If you would really like more detail and specifics, head over to http://www.americastestkitchen.com/. You have to kind of sign-up by giving your e-mail, but they have fantastic recipes and the detail is great for those who want to "get it right" and "get it good"!

Enjoy,
Nichole


2 comments:

  1. Sounds YUMMY! I'll have to try it soon. So did you count me as one those 5 readers? I check it every day and read every post! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recipe! I too have read every post :) I know, I always wonder if people read my blog too, but I am sure there are more readers than there are commenters!

    ReplyDelete